So you want to start your own blog?? Do you want to learn how to create a blog? That’s a very nice idea. There are many articles out there with the intention of teaching beginners how to start their own blog and this is one of them. I will try and make this very simple and as practical as I can to let you understand the whole process of setting up your blog and getting started right now.
Why should you start a blog?
This is an important question you would have to answer before considering taking this adventure into blogging, this is because to an extent, this determines how successful you would be in the blogging community.
To this question, there are many misconceptions about what blogging is, what it’s not and how to create a blog. I would prefer explaining why you should blog rather than why you should not…
Below is the fact about blogging
It is important you know these before learning how to create a blog.
Note: If you already know this then you can just move right, direct to the next section.
- Blogging is a very good way you can express yourself, teach people what you know and make available your own research. There are tons of blogs out there. ( Never worry, there is room for all good blogs to thrive)
- It’s the easiest way to Share information out to people. There not enough blogs to serve the people in the world hence more is needed to get information across and this information across can just be daily news and may necessarily not be your own.
- Then the best part…. You are rewarded doing this; Make money while blogging.
I know you must have heard the above points before but had to just remind you again.
And now to the real business
Please note! Creating your own blog may take you like 30 minutes. Certainly, it is worth it as you will learn How to create a blog.
8 Main Steps to Starting your Blog
There are 9 main steps I will discuss here on How to create a blog. Note this may not be as simple as ABC, but it is far better than providing different services online. So you should be happy. It contains no coding and in 30minutes you should have been done.
- 1# Decide on the Niche you would blog on
- 2# Choose a blogging Platform
- 3# Select a domain name for your blog
- 4# Buy a hosting account
- 5# Start with WordPress CMS
- 6# Write and Publish
- 7# Promote your first content
- 8# Make money from blogging
Step 1# Decide on a Niche to Blog on
A niche is a specialized or focused area of concentration. It is important to note that there are so many things to blog about online that will be of help to people but if you are not concentrating on a certain area, you will lose concentration
Just like you want to start a business offline, won’t you choose what line of business you would like to venture?
What are the Benefits of choosing a Niche?
- It gives you a total concentration on that particular niche
- It saves you from jumping on any piece of information that comes your way.
- It gives your blog an identity as your readers will always want to come back to find a piece of the particular information that is related to your niche
- It gives you edge in SEO ranking on google
- Will make you authority over time
How to choose a perfect and right Niche
In choosing the right niche, you must understand and provide answers to the following;
- What am I good at or what is my passion?
- Can I sustain writing on this for a long time even if no pay comes from this?
- Am I happy to write about this?
- What are the things I can gladly give out to people without asking for money and I will be happy doing this?
Step 2# Choose a Blogging Platform
There are various platforms that can help you achieve this but very few are popular and I think you must have heard of these already. WordPress platform is the biggest and by far the most used when it comes to blogging.
Reasons are that WordPress is;
- Very easy to set up and is free to use
- Has a lot of plugins for a perfect blog
- Superfine themes that can fit in any choice of niche
- It is very interactive and supports building community
- A very fast and easy to load options
Besides WordPress, these are other alternatives that you can also consider
- Tumblr – this is both social media and also a blogging platform, and it also simple to use
- Blogger – in my rating, you will find this to be next to WordPress.
Step 3# Select a Domain Name
A domain name is your web address or URL (example www.yourdomain.com).
You can use the following options to think out a better domain for your blog.
- It can be your name in full put together
- It can be in relation to your chosen niche, for example (www.fashionhub.com)
- It can also be gotten from a company or organization name. That’s if the organization or company already has a website
Selecting a domain name should be easy. I guess huh?
But this is what you need to know about domain names.
- Choose a domain name that is very simple. Simple I mean a very easy to remember domain name. For example, a four to five later word may just be perfect.
- Choose a domain name that has the potential of getting indexed and can be found easily by google search. This is why it is very important to research your preferred niche before picking a domain name.
4# Buy a Hosting Account or a Free Alternative
The decision to buy and host your account is dependent on whether you take blogging as a serious business otherwise I would advise you to use a free alternative.
I have known quite a lot of bloggers who started with a free option and later upgraded to hosting their own domains. This means you can start out free and upgrade later.
Whether you choose to use a free alternative or paid, there are ups and downs to the free alternative. Below are points you should note
- You won’t be able to get your domain name (URL)
You can’t get your URL customized the way you would want it. This will always look very ugly.
For Example, you can have something like this
That’s how your domain name would be when you choose the free alternative option.
2. Limitations upon limitations
Of course, you know that anything free comes with a limitation. There are things you cannot do with this free alternative. You cannot upload videos and images as much as you want.
You don’t have access to free fine themes. These and other limitations that you would find out as you test it out.
3. You Don’t own your Domain.
Imagine How to create a blog and letting people know your blog, only to understand that you really do not have total control of your blog. Someone has access to your blog and can terminate or tamper with your articles.
On the other hand, getting a paid domain and hosting account is the best. It gives you the opportunity for the following;
- Name your blog anything.
- You are totally in control of your blog.
- You are the real owner of the blog.
- You blog can now end with great suffix like .com, .net, .org etc.
So now that you have decided to get a paid hosted domain, I know that the next question you may be asking is “How much does it cost to get one”?
This really doesn’t cost much as it rallies between 3-12usd monthly. Please click HERE to get your domain hosted.
While you are to making a purchase for your domain name and hosting, I will like to quickly make a few clarifications on some important terms so you don’t get confused.
Please note the following:
Domain Name: This is your (URL) which looks like this (www.yourdomain.com)
Hosting Account: A hosting account is like a house in which the domain is stored.
Furthermore, the domain is like the house address of your blog website while the hosting is the house itself. This means these two things can be bought and sold separately.
The good news is that most platforms give the option to choose a domain name for free when you are hosting. Hence you will not pay separately. This sounds cool right. Namecheap does this for you.
5# Setting up your Blog on WordPress
After you have finished purchasing your domain and host account, the next thing is to do a complete setup of your blog.
As discussed earlier, WordPress at this point is the most preferred and most flexible platform and we will be using this to set up our blog.
Please pay attention to this part as it is very crucial to getting this right.
Now that you WordPress is installed your domain what next??
- Head over to your admin area (this is the part where you build your blog) it looks like this www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin then login with your username and password you used during the setting up. You can ask your host provider to get this if you have forgotten.
- Click on the Appearance button, and then click on themes. This will take you to the list of free available themes that WordPress gives.
- Select any theme by clicking on activate, but before you activate, make sure you click on the preview button to take a look at how your blog will look after activating that theme. It is important to note that you can always change your theme when you want, and if the one you activated is not ok by you, just go back and activate another one.
- Make a Post by clicking on the post button beside on the same dashboard. This will take you to a post page where you will be asked to type in the title of your post. When you do this, then you are ready to write your article.
At this point, you are now set to publish your first article. Is this not amazing? Sure I think it is. Just go on and on to write and publish nice articles.
6# Write your Content
Are you ready now to write your first article? I guess so.
Now, go to your dashboard and click the post button, click on add new button below it. This will take you to your article page.
Enter the title of your blog post. Below that is a space for you to write your article in full. Once you are done, then click the publish button at the top right of your page. You are done!
7# Promoting your Content
There are several ways you can promote your content. To make it easier you can install social media plugins which will appear right below all your articles to enable a visitor to share your posts on social media platforms. However, there are other means that you can use to promote your content.
- WhatsApp Groups. You can promote your post on WhatsApp groups where you are an active member. Your status on WhatsApp can also be a useful tool for promoting your blog posts.
- Facebook. Facebook is a great platform for content promotion. It gives you the option of having 5000 friends. This means that if you drop an eye-catching and interesting article with a good title you are sure of getting good traffic and views from your Facebook promotion. You can also promote in groups and drop your post links on pages. Join groups that relate to your niche. You can open an account HERE if you don’t have one.
- Twitter. The same way you posted on Facebook is also required when posting on twitter. You can open an account HERE you if you don’t have one.
8# Make Money from your Blog
Now that you have successfully launched your blog which is an important part of How to create a blog and have started making posts and writing more articles, it is time to show you that part you have been waiting for. I know you would like this huh.
This money part can be very easy if you do your homework very well.
The following are ways you can monetize your blog
- Google AdSense.
With your blog fully ready with good content and with 8-20 posts you can apply for Google AdSense program. Google AdSense is a way google pays you for placing adverts on your blog. So if your blog is approved boom! You are right in the money.
You can also advertise some services or products for your friends or clients offline. This means that they will pay in cash will you take their business online.
You can choose to venture fully into digital marketing. You can promote digital products for some percentage. This will give you more experience and more money.
I know this article will help you to on How to create a blog on your own. I also offer help with this. I can create a full blog for you. Please comment on using the comment box below to get help from me.